2 Samuel 11:11-13 “Uriah said to David, “the ark and Israel and Judah are staying in tents, and my commander Joab and my Lord’s men are camped in the open country. How could I go to my house to eat and drink and make love to my wife? As surely as you live, I will not do such a thing! 
Then David said to him, “Stay here one more day, and tomorrow I will send you back.” So Uriah remained in Jerusalem that day and the next. At David’s invitation, he ate and drank with him, and David made him drunk. But in the evening Uriah went out to sleep on is mat among his master’s servants; he did not go home.”

This story is telling what happened after David slept with Bathsheba. He didn't want anyone to find out about his adultery, so he tried to call Uriah home from the battlefield to sleep with his wife. However, Uriah wouldn't disregard his duties to his fellow soldiers like that. If this isn’t peer pressure, I don't know what is. The KING of the nation was encouraging him to spend the night with his wife, but because Uriah had conviction about that, he wouldn't do it. There has been so many instances in my life where I threw out my conviction simply because my friends were prodding me to do something. That is one thing that has been brought to my attention since being here, and when I get home I am planning on staying close and true to my morals in God no matter how convincing my friends seem, and if it continues I will not spend time with them anymore. I want the amount of discipline Uriah had in his life, and I know that God has been equipping me to do that. 
Yesterday Pastor Mike shared a story with us where one of his old co-workers said to him, “If men like you would stick to what they believe in - maybe men like me would believe.” And I believe that the biggest testimony I can set for my unsaved friends is to stand firm to what I believe and my convictions. 


Application: I will pray for my friends I know are going down the wrong path, and pray that they would see my testimony of change through my actions, not necessarily my words. 

Comments

Popular Posts