Romans 6:16 “Don’t you know that when you offer yourselves to someone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one you obey — whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness?” 

The idea of slaves never coexists with the idea of freedom, right? This passage shifts my thinking of being a slave. I know what it feels like to be trapped in sin, never seeking an outlet and allowing in to control my life. What impacts me the most in this verse is the contrast it paints between being a slave to sin verses a slaves to God when it says, “which leads to death … which leads to righteousness” - just from reading those sections alone you would think I would be convinced to follow the Lord. The rewards/consequences I receive from chasing sin is of no benefit to me, and it is completely meaningless in light of eternity. 

Not to mention, being a slave to sin means bondage. However, being a slave to the Lord means freedom. It means sanctification and the ability to become holy in the Lord’s eyes - and at the end of the day, it doesn't lead to death, it leads to eternal life. Having that mindset as I go throughout the day will change my motives and my actions entirely. God has freed me from my past and He has brought me new life. Now I need to choose to not fall into temptation of my flesh and obey what the Lord has asked me to surrender. Obviously this is much easier said than done, but God has made me a new creation and I need to actively pursue the righteousness He is calling me to, regardless of how I feel in the moment.

Comments

Popular Posts