Hebrews 13:17 “Have confidence in your leaders and submit to authority, because they keep watch over you as those who must give an account. Do this so that their work can be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no benefit to you.”


There are countless verses in the Bible that discuss leadership and the importance God lays on those who have these positions. This verse shifts the focus onto the ones who are under the authority of the leaders, and under this context I would assume it’s talking about the leaders of the church. So immediately my mind thinks to the place I am in now, with 28 other Ignite students, all living under the authority of the RA’s and the overseers. In a few months my hands and feet will no longer be serving these leaders, but my team of 9 will be sent overseas to hold up the arms of the missionaries at a different part of the world. We just recently had a class about this, but we are being sent - not to be a burden to the overseers in Uganda - but to be a breath of fresh air. My goal is that by the end of my field time I will have no memories of rebelling against authority, whether in small ways or large. My biggest desire going through Ignite is to come out a changed person. One that is not self-seeking and is instead God-pursuing no matter what hardships come around, and as it says in this verse, going against godly leadership will be of no benefit to me at the end of the day. 

Comments

Popular Posts