1 Timothy 6:6-8 “But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that.”

The verses leading up this is Paul explaining that the love of money is evil, and you would have to be a fool to believe that godliness is a means to becoming wealthy. Instead, as he explains in verses 6, it’s godliness being content that makes an individual feel whole.
Truthfully, contentment is something I have struggled with my whole life. I have always been one to desire the newest, coolest, phone or acquire the latest fashion trends.. and even beyond material things, I tend to want circumstances to go my way and I am not usually found with a joyful spirit if they go contrary to my original plans. So this verse challenges me in so many ways. Paul writes if he has solely food and clothing he will be content. I have had access to plenty of food and clothing my entire life - but I think about how many times I have been discontent and it’s convicting. He didn't say, “if we have our family, closest friends, all the clothes and shoes we need, the newest iphone, great internet, and a new car we will be content.” However, he did mention that none of those we will be able to take to heaven with us when we die. On a timeline, my life on earth is only a speck, or even smaller in light of eternity, and wasting it by chasing after things that are meaningless is a horrible way to try to please God and will never bring me true joy. Today I will choose contentment.

Application: I will not complain about 1 thing for (at least) the rest of this week 

Comments

Popular Posts