IBS #6
Caroline Nelson
James 3:13-17 “Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom. But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth. Such “wisdom” does not come down from heaven but it earthly, unspiritual, demonic. For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice.
But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere.”


These set of verses start by asking the question, “Who is wise and understanding among you?” Immediately my mind begins to list out the names of my spiritual leaders in my life. It is no question in my mind that they have made such an impact on me because they are humble about their knowledge of the Lord and they live it out in obvious ways. What God is showing me in these verses is that if I want to have biblical wisdom I have to first have the right motives. Wisdom shouldn’t be a way to glorify myself, but God seeking wisdom will always point to the Father and uplift others. Any other type of wisdom is from the world and does not honor God. And if I have been learning anything lately, what’s the point in pursuing anything if it does not honor God? So instead of seeking worldly approval and wisdom, I will seek to please the Lord.

Comments

Popular Posts