Luke 3:14 “Then the soldiers asked him, “and what should we do?” He replied, “Don’t export money and don't accuse people falsely—be content with your pay.” 

Contentment. What a great theme for this week. Only halfway into training it’s easy to get weighed down and miss home but my whole life I have asked God to lead me where he wants me to go and I’m finally in the midst of His will! So I am trying hard not to wish this time away and appreciate every moment I am able to spend with these people enjoying His presence. 

In this story John the Baptist is sharing about the upcoming Messiah and as soon as the people hear this word they ask how they can be prepared. That’s when the soldiers posed this question in verse 14 and John responds by telling them how to keep good morals while still pursuing their job. My whole life I have had this idea in my head of how my life will turn out. I always pictured a great job, a husband, a white picket fence and dream vacation homes. This isn't the only verse that convicts me of this american dream of mine, but it does bring attention to the idea that constantly pursuing “bigger and better” is never going to lead me to a place of contentment. There will always be something more I can achieve and there will always be more money to be made or a bigger house to obtain, but all of these things will pass away. Joy is choice, and until I choose to be content with whatever income, whatever location, whatever calling, I will never have true peace or satisfaction. 

Comments

Popular Posts