Galatians 5:13 “You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge in the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.” 

One of the beautiful things about being a Christian is that you are no longer chained into sin. God has granted us freedom, freedom to choose to indulge in our flesh or walk in the will of the Lord. Here Paul is urging us not to fall into the acts our sinful nature but rather to walk in a manner that is completely opposite of what our pride desires. When I look at my own life through this verse I can’t say I am pleased with where I am at. Serving isn’t necessarily hard for me, but when it comes to the attitude we should do it with — I’m not the perfect example of humility/love.
Most of the time, if someone asks me to do something, I get up and get the job done. Depending on what it is, I may grumble in my head or do it half-heartedly, or possibly I’m in a good mood and I complete the task without thinking too much about it… But at the end of the day, I rarely do things out of love for my brothers and sisters. My whole mindset needs an adjustment and if I can’t enter into a situation with love, it’s meaningless in God’s eyes and it’s only hurting myself. You know what else I’m realizing? If I was doing things for others to solely please the Lord, I wouldn't have a problem doing it out of love. But I am more often than not serving others to feed my own pride, and God is drilling into my head that it needs to be done in utter humility. 

Comments

Popular Posts